May 16, 2013
by Lisa Harris
Yesterday Fiona Harvey, Graeme Earl and myself headed for London Town to present at the HEA Changing the Learning Landscape event.
This event offered an opportunity for those involved in teaching to find out more about the role that social media can play in enhancing the student and tutor experience. It was therefore a chance for us to wax lyrical about digital literacy, digichamps, cool social media tools and of course MOOCs :-)
Fiona’s review of the day is here on the CITE blog
May 9, 2013
by Alison Simmance
The University of Southampton sprang to life during the 17-22nd March when over 1050 attendees joined us for the 3rd annual Multidisciplinary Research Week.
This year’s week long celebration was built on the best cross-disciplinary science and arts from the University of Southampton’s staff and students with a packed programme of talks, hands-on science demonstrations, exhibitions, debates and a film screening. We were also joined by key external speakers who brought insights into policy applications and cutting edge research in relation to our University Strategic Research Groups.
See the full programme here. The energy and intellectual alchemy of the week certainly inspired ‘ideas worth spreading’ and far exceeded our expectations. Thank you to all our speakers, demonstrators, supporters, volunteers, digital champions, sponsors and attendees for enabling this annual cross-disciplinary event at the University of Southampton to be a huge success.
The week in numbers– see the statistics from MDR Week 2013 below or in the MDRWeek 2013 Final Statistics Flyer.
Blog posts about all our events at #MDRWeek will be coming shortly! Watch this site for news.
Did you miss MDR week 2013?
See all our multimedia outputs online now!
- Full webcasts (videos of all talks).
- Interviews and on the floor views (by ICM Reporting).
- YouTube #MDRWeek (all interviews and videos).
- Blogs from the week.
- See all the power point presentations on slideshare.
- In pictures on pinterest.
Did you miss TEDxSouthamptonUniversity 2013?
MDR Week 2013 STATISTICS-
- 23 events (incl. 2 exhibitions and 1 interactive art session) from 17-22nd March 2013.
- 1057 actual attendees (approx. 10% external).
- First TEDx at the University of Southampton- tickets sold out; new website; IBM sponsorship; 15 speakers; >1000 hits so far on YouTube.
- Prof Mohan Munasinghe– Vice Chair of IPPC/Nobel Prize Winner 2007 (BBC Radio Solent Broadcast & future collaborations).
- First formal celebration of the World Water Day 2013 (150 attendees).
- >70 people attended the ‘Litmus Project: Science & Poetry Exhibition’.
- >120 people attended ‘Question Time: The Brain & Society’, (incl. 40 6th Formers)
- 15 people created an eco-friendly bag from 60th Anniversary campaign banner material at ‘Be a Green Shopper’.
- Collaborations: UoS Science & Engineering Festival, WSA, WUN, IBM, Google, Marwell Wildlife, three 6th Form Colleges.
First year that social media was used!
- 11 blogs (>300 hits in the 1st week);
- 26 interviews– >500 hits so far on YouTube;
- 17 webcasts from all talks;
- Tedx 15 Videos– >1000 hits so far on YouTube.
- >370 hits to the multidisciplinary website;
- >630 tweets #MDRWeek;
- 3 storifys;
- 3 pinterests.
MDR Week 2014- Your Views
We are now already planning next year’s research week and welcome any suggestions for a possible theme on this. If you have an interesting cross-disciplinary project/initiative or idea and/or wish to get involved in other ways then please contact us: email@example.com
Full details available at: www.southampton.ac.uk/multidisciplinary
Share your experience with us on Twitter #MDRWeek @Multisoton